Top 3 for 26 Nov
Happy Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving break begins today, 26 Nov, and extends through Friday, 28 Nov. GW offices will close today at 2 p.m. and reopen on Monday, 1 Dec, at 9 a.m. Enjoy your break!
• Spring 2015 Scholarships, 14 Dec Deadline
Scholarship applicants are encouraged to utilize the University Writing Center or the English for Academic Purposes Program to ensure they put forth a graduate-level writing effort. Essays received with spelling errors, poor grammar, or formatting issues receive less consideration than those that exhibit graduate-level writing.
•PMA Board of Directors Election
Scholarship funding is available for current MSPM students in the Spring 2015 semester.
Overview of scholarship guidelines:
- Two scholarships will be awarded, each in the amount of $3,750
- Must be registered for a minimum of 3 credits in the Spring 2015 semester
- Must have been enrolled in a minimum of 1.5 credits or on an approved Leave of Absence in the Fall 2014 semester
- Student must be in good standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Video or essay required
- Full guidelines and eligibility criteria are included in the applications
Deadline to apply is 14 Dec, 2014. Review the applications in detail for the full list of guidelines, eligibility criteria, and the complete application process. Be mindful of spelling, grammar, and formatting in your essays. All students are encouraged to utilize the University Writing Center to ensure they put forward a graduate-level writing effort.
The leading free trade agreement in procurement, the World Trade Organization (WTO) Government Procurement Agreement (GPA), is missing the BRICS: the world’s most important developing economies, Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, have all failed to join. GW Law hosted this open colloquium, where a panel of senior procurement experts from Brazil, joined by senior members of the U.S. trade and procurement communities, explored the key hurdles to be met in bringing Brazil and the other BRICS into the GPA.
- The GPA accession process — how the WTO views it, and how potential new entrants see it
- Political and economic challenges for Brazil and other developing nations in preparing to join the GPA
- The road to harmonization in procurement rules, between Brazil and the world
- Addressing Small- and Medium-Sized Enterprise (SME) preferences
- “Buy Brazilian” — unique problems raised by domestic preferences
Panelists and Moderators
- Alecia Bicalho, Motta & Bicalho
- Augusto Dal Pozzo, Dal Pozzo Advogados
- Cesar Pereira, Justen, Pereira, Oliveira & Talamini
- Maurício Ribeiro, Portugal Ribeiro Advogados
- Jean Heilman Grier , Principal Trade Consultant, Djaghe, LLC
- Johannes Schnitzer, SchnitzerLaw, Vienna
- Robert Anderson, World Trade Organization
- Daniel I. Gordon, Steven L. Schooner, Joshua Schwartz, Jessica Tillipman, and Christopher R. Yukins, The George Washington University Law School
Top 3 for 19 Nov
The Blackboard Collaborate schedule for the spring semester is now available. The Collaborate sessions provide a live weekly interface with the professor for the distance/online sections. Confirm with each professor when the first Collaborate session will occur.
• Summer 2015 Short-Term Study Abroad Programs Announced
The GWSB Global & Experiential Education (G&EE) team has announced the summer 2015 short-term study abroad program courses/destinations. Review the list of courses/destinations online and schedule advisement sessions with me and the G&EE team if you are interested in participating. Applications due in February 2015.
•Vote for the PMA Board of Directors
The ballot is now available to vote for the GW Project Management Association Board of Directors. Voting ends Sunday, 23 Nov, at 11:59 p.m. Who should lead the student association next?
The Blackboard Collaborate schedule is now available for the spring 2015 distance/online courses. Your professors will review the schedule and expectations during the first week of class.
|Course||Course Title||Professor||Blackboard Collaborate Night||Time||Notes|
|DNSC 6234||Procurement & Contracting||Easley||Wednesday||8pm Eastern||Highly Encouraged|
|DNSC 6250||PM Finance||Kwak||Wednesday||9pm Eastern||Highly Encouraged|
|DNSC 6251||Opt Models for Dec. Making||Jarrah||Thursday||8pm Eastern||Highly Encouraged|
|DNSC 6252||Risk Analysis for Dec. Making||Kettunen||Thursday||8pm Eastern||Highly Encouraged|
|DNSC 6290||Comm Strat for PM||Keleher||Thursday||9pm Eastern||Highly Encouraged|
|DNSC 6202||Stats for Mgmnt||Khamooshi||Monday||8pm Eastern||Highly Encouraged|
|DNSC 6267||Planning & Scheduling||Jain||Monday||9pm Eastern||Highly Encouraged|
|DNSC 6261||Intro to PM||Griffith||Tuesday||10pm Eastern||Highly Encouraged|
|DNSC 6269||PM Applications||Khamooshi||Tuesday||9pm Eastern||Highly Encouraged|
|DNSC 6290||Sustainable Supply Chains||Matta||Tuesday||9:30pm Eastern||Mandatory|
Top 3 for 12 Nov
• Career Center Walk-in Hours, 13 Nov
The specialized masters career coach, Pilar Little, is hosting walk-in hours tomorrow, 13 Nov, 4-5 pm. She’ll spend 10 minutes with each student to answer career-related questions. No appointment or RSVP needed. Meet her outside of the F. David Fowler Career Center, suite 560 in Duques Hall.
•G&EE Trivia Night and Photo Contest
The GWSB Global & Experiential Education team is hosting two events in celebration of International Education Week:
Join other GWSB students for a night of international trivia at Stoney’s on L St, NW. Compete in teams of 3-5 people. Sign up online. Food and drinks provided. Prizes awarded to winners.
Submit photos from study abroad programs or from around Washington, DC. Submission deadline is 14 Nov at midnight. Review full details online.
Top 3 for 5 Nov
GW students, faculty, and staff now have access to lynda.com, a leading online learning company that helps anyone learn business, software, technology and creative skills to achieve personal and professional goals. Visit lynda.it.gwu.edu and enter your NetID and password to access the site. From there, you’ll have unlimited access to 3,075 video courses, custom playlists, and on-the-go learning. Training for Microsoft Project, Excel, SPSS, and more software packages is included.
• Capitalize on Your Colonial Connections, 13 Nov
Join us for an evening of speed networking and dessert with fellow Colonials! Whether you are looking for new business opportunities or simply want to connect with the GW community, seize the opportunity to network with GW alumni and students from a variety of exciting industries. Event is open to all GW alumni and current GW graduate students. Thursday, 13 Nov, 7 p.m. EST in the Marvin Center. Register at http://go.gwu.edu/nov132014.
•Check for Holds that May Prevent Registration
Spring registration starts on Monday, 10 Nov. Make sure you remove any holds on your account that may prevent you from registering for your classes. To view holds, log in to GWeb Info System, click on “Student Record and Registration,” then “Student Records Information Menu,” and finally “View Administrative Holds.” Did you…