Program Director, Media and Democracy- Position Located in DC
REPORTS TO: SVP for Strategy and Programs; Special Advisor
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Working with Common Cause staff and our Special Advisor, former FCC Commissioner Michael Copps, the Program Director leads a multi-year campaign to educate and engage the public and policymakers about: critical reforms needed to advance media diversity and to promote the local, diverse media that are so essential for the functioning of a healthy democracy. Key policy areas include: achieving universal access to the Open Internet; promoting affordable telecommunications; enshrining diverse media ownership; and winning full disclosure of political advertising.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Works closely with Special Advisor, consultant(s), and Common Cause program leaders to develop and implement strategic action plan with the following elements:
1) developing complementary and collaborative strategies with key communications reform allies;
2) engaging Common Cause staff and volunteer leaders on state-based reform initiatives;
3) planning public events and speaking opportunities and venues to engage targeted constituencies, including activists, community leaders, academics, media, policymakers, members of the public and of Common Cause;
4) promoting reform initiatives through traditional and social media outreach, including drafting and placement of op-eds, editorial board meetings, blogs, interview opportunities on TV and radio;
5) developing materials to help educate Common Cause staff and activists on media reform issues;
6) working with development and program staff to secure additional funding for the Initiative;
7) conducting educational visits with federal and state policymakers; and
8) other Common Cause work as needed.
The impact of this initiative will depend in large part on strategic collaboration and coordination with public interest partners and with Common Cause state organizations working on campaigns and issues, where the participation of our nationally-recognized advisor can make a difference in advancing specific reforms and defending against industry efforts that undermine the public interest and jeopardize our democracy.
QUALIFICATIONS: Advanced degree preferred, Bachelor’s degree required; extensive knowledge of public interest campaigns, including lobbying, grassroots organizing strategies, online and social media outreach and advocacy tactics; minimum 5 years advocacy or political campaign experience; commitment to Common Cause issues and agenda; excellent oral, written, social media, and communication skills, including public speaking; ability to handle a wide range of responsibilities; self-starter with high energy level; expertise in media and democracy strongly preferred; ability to work well with coalition partners; comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment; working knowledge of social media tools – i.e., Facebook, Twitter, etc.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include PROGRAM DIRECTOR—MEDIA AND DEMOCRACY in the subject line; or fax to 202.355.7546. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to respond as soon as possible.
ABOUT COMMON CAUSE: Common Cause is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization dedicated to restoring core values of American Democracy, reinventing an open, honest, and accountable government that works for the public interest, and empowering ordinary people to make their voices heard.Founded 45 years ago, Common Cause has 400,000 members and supporters, and chapters in 35 states around the country. At the national and state level, Common Cause is actively engaged in defending and advancing the core values of our democracy, which include politics not dominated by money, full access to voting and fair elections, economic opportunity for all, an ethical and accountable government, and an open and democratic media. More information can be found at: www.commoncause.org.